"Chorizo" and eggs

Saturday, May 21, 2011


Today is Relay for Life in Lincoln, so most of my Saturday and Sunday is spent at the high school track, walking or running in circles, waving to people, slathering on sunscreen like it's my job, listening to local bands, and watching my sister be team captain for the top fundraising team- whoop!
Between all of that, I come home to shower, relax, do laundry, and post one of my top 5 fav "weekend breakfasts". I put that in "" because you could definitely eat this for any breakfast, but like most people, I define weekend breakfasts as something more than cereal, toast, fruit, a bagel, or sadly enough, America's classic weekday breakfast: nothing.
Weekend breakfasts are some of my favorite meals- they are slow. I'm not in a rush to shove 150 calories of Kashi down my throat. I can spend an hour making blueberry pancakes, or whole wheat waffles, or in this case, soyrizo and eggs.
All Mexicans can kill me now for taking a classic like chorizo and eggs, and making it vegetarian.
I swear it's delish. Our adorable neighbor girl came over last weekend to spend the night, and we chose to make this the next morning. She loved it!
You really only need three things: eggs, soyrizo and corn tortillas. Those are all MUSTS. If you do flour tortillas, the world may end.
You can add: cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, guacamole, or salsa. But why would use mess with perfect simplicity? I love the idea of tasting the actual flavors of a dish, something we rarely do, as there is flavor on top of flavor in most meals.
If you make these (and you should) try one plain and another with an accouterment- see which you like best.

I know, who doesn't love sour cream and guac?

Soyrizo and Eggs
serves 6
1 package corn tortillas (at least 12)
10-12 eggs, depending on size
3 tablespoons water
1 package soyrizo (Trader Joe's makes a great one)
salt, pepper and dried oregano, to taste
optional- sour cream, salsa, avocado

In a large bowl, mix eggs and water. Place into a lightly greased, hot skillet, over medium heat. SLOWLY cook the eggs- they get a creamier texture this way. Stir occasionally, lifting from the pan. When the eggs are still runny, but starting to take shape, add a dash of salt, pepper, and oregano.
Next, remove soyrizo from package and put into eggs- breaking into small bits.

Cook until the eggs are firm, the mixture is hot, and the eggs and soyrizo are fully combined.

Get a paper towel wet, and wrap tortillas in it. Place in microwave for 30-60 seconds, until warm.
Place some of the egg mix into the tortilla and DEVOUR.
Delicious, but optional: serve with fresh pineapple

Also, you should be informed that these are sitting on a totally neato Hercules (Disney movie) plate, I got when I was like 10. I know, I'm cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment