Megan Monday: BBQ chicken salad

Monday, May 16, 2011

The other day, Megan told me she made a recipe from my blog. She made crockpot chicken, but used pork instead.
Yay for cooking and making variations off of someone else's idea- she is a chef already.
As we talked about her success, I said how delicious the chicken or pork would be on a salad.
Although I did not follow my crock pot chicken recipe tonight, I did do some type of variation, which I threw on a salad.
At 10 am this morning, I threw a whole chicken and a bottle of BBQ sauce in the crock pot, and put it on low, until about 5 pm.
I know it seems tedious to use a whole chicken, and pick threw all the bones and skin, but I really feel like it gives you the most flavorful chicken.
Then, I put it on a bed of mixed greens with a sliced mango, avocado, tomato, and homemade onion strings.
Those are what I will proceed to share today.
Megan, these are not the healthiest part of a meal, BUT, when you're eating a salad, I feel like it gives you a little freedom to add some extra treats, without the guilt.
Honestly, you don't even need dressing for this salad, but you could top it with a drizzle of ranch, thousand island, or maybe a dollop of light sour cream.


Slice the ends off of a medium sized sweet onion (they are called Vidalia onions, over here in Cali).


Make a vertical slice down the length of the onion, not too deep, just enough to pierce the shell and top onion layer. Remove the shell and tough layer.

Then, cut the onion into thin round slices.
In a bowl, dump the onions in 1/2 cup of buttermilk, or low fat milk mixed with 1 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice (voila, homemade buttermilk!) After soaking for 5 minutes, throw the onions in a bowl of 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder and just for kicks, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes.
In a skillet, heat 1/4 cup high heat oil- I prefer safflower oil.
Toss in your onions, but if your pan is small, do this in a few batches- do NOT crowd your onions- they will not get crunchy if you do.

When brown and crispy, place them on a paper towel to soak up some oil. Put them on top of your salad and eat, people, eat!


We ate this with cornbread muffins I made a couple weeks ago, and froze. I love when I have something already prepared and found a way to save it, rather than dump in the trash, after realizing they aren't going to be eaten. Plus, after heating them in the oven a bit, they tasted as good as they did the first time around- with a drizzle of honey, of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment