Hello, Fall

Friday, September 24, 2010

Welcome to Fall.
Yes I am excited, despite the fact that it will be 90 something degrees this weekend- so not Fall.
I am ready for sweaters, hot coffee, boots; oh how I missed my boots, CROCKPOT!, butternut squash soup, an excuse to bake because pumpkin is in season, changing trees, heated mattress pads...I could go on.
Please remind me of this list when I have to replace my windshield wipers and my backpack is drenched on the way to class and I'm tired of eating soup for dinner and I've gained 5 lbs. because I can't run in 30 degree weather, get sad about it and shove 1200 pumpkin muffins into my face all day long.
But that is later.
For now I am sharing my first fall baking experience.
Yesterday I made chocolate chip banana bread with a special ingredient (I'll share in a couple of days) and Pumpkin scones. Yeah you read that correctly and they are as good as they sound.
I got the recipe from my favorite recipe blog, http://inpraiseofleftovers.com/2009/05/22/2-batches-of-pumpkin-scones-in-one-morning/ but I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose, and low fat buttermilk.

I also turned them into complete magic with a topping. I debated drizzling a powdered sugar/squeezed orange icing on them, but opted for this instead:cinnamon sugar glaze.
Soften 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with 1 tablespoon table sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. (You can play with the ratios, depending on what you like.) Mix with a fork and spread over each scone with a knife. When you're ready to eat, put the scone in the microwave for a bit- 15 seconds-ish, so the scone will get warm and soft and the butter-sugar combo can melt a little. Helloooo, Fall.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

1) I fucking love scones.
2) This is the first time (because i suck, but now I won't because I want more scones) that I've seen your new block background. HOW DID YOU DO THAT? I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
3) Anyways - yay! I love that you're a commenting fiend on my blog lately. I love hearing from you and you always have great things to say. So thank you. :)

AB said...

1. I f'ing love you for loving scones. My current fav is the blackberry raspberry scone from Peet's coffee- only 250 calories of "I don't have to feel guilty about this" goodness.
2. I got the background from shabby blogs- I have nothing to do with it.
3. I just started using google reader and it keeps me up with all my blogs- I'm currently obsessed with everything you say.

Post a Comment