Easy Caprese

Thursday, September 2, 2010


I can't believe I went this long without a post...again. But school just started and the last couple of weeks have been a lot of "I already posed that on my blog" and "this isn't real cooking" meals, so anyway, those are my excuses.
This is a traditional caprese salad.
Yes, that is cheese. Real cheese. And when I say real, I mean real. Not that crap mozzerella they give you in plastic and try to pass off as real, despite how salty and firm it is. REAL mozzerella is sometimes packed in water or at the very least its packaging isn't as airtight- you can feel it is a little slippery and it is pretty soft.
I don't eat a lot cheese when I have this, but I usually fancy a little slice becuase it is pretty darn good. I reccommend using tomatoes and basil fresh from your garden, but we all can't be lucky enough to live with our parents and have a mom who will plant us an endless supply of those things, but at least get them from a Farmers Market. This salad is so simple that you really do need quality ingredients.

Caprese Salad
serves 4

3 roma or regular tomatoes
12 basil leaves
1/2 ball of mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a medium skillet. Place vinegar in and stand back- the smell is strong. Let heat until it bubbles and turns into a syrup- you'll know what I mean. You can skip this step, but it really makes this salad special.

While the vinegar cooks, slice the tomatoes and cheese (you want the cheese pretty thin).
Roll the basil leaves like a cigar (like I know how to do that?! That's just what everyone always says) and chiffonade. Here's a demonstration: http://veganyumyum.com/2007/01/how-to-chiffonade-basil/

Place tomatoes on a serving platter and top with thin slices of cheese.
Sprinkle basil on top.
Drizzle EVOO and balsamic syrup.
Throw on a dask of salt and pepper.



Voila.

0 comments:

Post a Comment