Butternut Squash soup

Friday, November 5, 2010


There are certain things I will never ever be able to get my sister to eat. Butternut squash (in any form) is on that epic list. Even doused in ranch I think she’d turn me down. On nights like this where I say, “I don’t care that she has a pallete of an 8 year old” I direct her to the frozen mac and cheese and I serve butternut squash soup to everyone else. I hadn’t made it until last year and I cannot imagine life without it. I am blessed with a Vitamix which makes this recipe easier than heating up mac and cheese. I’ve modified the recipe from my Vitamix recipe book and the flavor is great. I’ve tried a few other canned and boxed soups and I have yet to find one that doesn’t make this recipe worth my time.
The secret and the key: a roasted apple. Just do it. Then make some apple cinnamon bread, slab it with honey and soy butter and remind yourself why you’ve progressed from the taste buds of an 8 year old...not that we all don’t need the occasional mac and cheese (a vegan, cheeseless one will be here soon- go ahead and get all 90‘s on me and say I’m trippin’).
1 apple (honeycrisp, fuji, gala preferred)
1 medium to large butternut squash
1 large carrot
1 medium yellow or sweet onion
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 box broth- veggie or chicken

Preheat oven to 425.
Cut squash into large chunks. Cut carrot, apple and onion in half. Leave garlic whole. Place in a large rectangular baking dish.
Sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
Roast until squash is tender.

Place all roasted ingredients in Vitamix or food processor. Add broth. Set on high and blend until smooth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment