Fish burger (sort of).

Friday, June 11, 2010


You're looking at this picture thinking, "what the heck is that and thank you for not making me eat it."
I promise that these reminants of dinner last night were delicious.
I'm showing you, what ladies and gentlemen? A fish burger. Bunless, you see, because this is today's lunch and I try not to have a lot of bready type carbs at lunch; especially when I know I am eating crepes for dinner. (Insert jealousy here)
I've been dying to adapt and make a fish burger recipe I've had on hand for months and last night I did. I used cod, but I think you could sub almost any fish for it. The problem, as you've probably noticed, is that it fell apart on the grill. I'm talking a giant mess: I could have lifted up the grill grate and fed myself with all the bits below.
I need to work on this recipe- I don't know if it needs more olive oil, maybe some flour, less ingredients? Maybe it can't be done on a grill, or I need to start it in a pan. I will revisit this recipe and report back, but I suggest trying your hand at this recipe. Despite the crumbly mess we piled on the bun with tomato, avocado, lettuce and sour cream dill lime sauce (recipe to come later), everyone said the flavor was great.
I will admit there is one ingredient I added, you may or may not find: A mango tequila sauce/marinade type thing I buy at Nugget and Whole Foods. The burger will taste great without it, but I thought this divine sauce (the only way to describe it) would make a great addition.

Fish burger: adapted from foodnetwork Marlin burger

Makes 5-6 burgers (as long as it doesn't all fall through the grill)

1.5 pounds ounces fresh marlin
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 half large yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/3 cup low fat sour cream
1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for topping uncooked burgers
Pinch salt and pepper
2 tablespoons Earth and Vine (I think) mango tequila sauce or mango salsa or forget this ingredient all together

4 hamburger buns, toasted
Lettuce, tomato, avocado and sour cream lime dill sauce, for serving

Directions
Put the fish in a vitamix or food processor and grind. Transfer the fish into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and then mix everything with a spoon.
Drizzle a little olive oil on each side of the patties.
Place patties on a hot grill, close the grill and let cook for 6-7 minutes, flip (if you dare!) until fish is white and flakey.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try some cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs to bind it...or maybe add some garbanzo beans to the blender with the fish...oooooh, or tahini sauce! Fishummus burgers:)

Post a Comment