Chili and cornbread

Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Just a quick post. I made this meal one rainy day...last week...I think.
The chili is pretty much the same ole same ole- few cans of beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, onion, garlic and carrot. Usually I use soyrizo for my meat, but I didn't want that added spice, so I roasted some chicken breasts in the oven with olive oil, pepper and salt, the night before, shredded them and added them to the chili- it was a hit. I highly recommend stocking up on whole chickens, chicken breasts, chicken legs, chicken thighs, etc. when the packs go on sale. I got an organic, free range, hormone free whole chicken for $0.99 per lb last week and stuck it in the freezer. You never know when it will come in handy for chili...

Here's the cornbread. I made a double batch and cubed half of it and turned it into croutons for a recipe you'll see later this week. Oh and make sure to put honey on it- how can you not?!

You'll need:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup natural sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup non fat milk
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet- or any other baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and applesauce and oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment