The Kitchen Sink Cous Couse Salad

Thursday, September 15, 2011


Cooking for a man, aka someone who will eat anything, and cooking for only two people, allows me to be creative and practical. For example, in this cous cous salad, I threw in some extra red potatoes I had from this night. They were a great addition, but the star of this salad was definitely the halved grapes. I have friends, okay I have MADDIE, who hates fruit in her salads. Thankfully I don't cook for her because there is no way I would have left these little purple guys out of this side dish. I ate this three times- first for dinner with mushroom stuffed pitas,

then twice for lunch. On the times I had it for lunch, I used the pita to scoop up the pearled cous cous and all it's little sidekicks. And did I mention this pearled cous cous was an accident? I have never bought the pearled cous cous, always too scared of its texture and opting for it's smaller yet mighty brother. But, I'm glad the accident happened- the texture is great and it stood up nicely to all the other additions.

The Kitchen Sink Cous Cous Salad
As the name indicates, throw whatever you want in here, but this is a good starting point
1 box olive oil and garlic flavored pearled cous cous
1 lemon zested and juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups spinach
1/2 red onion, chopped
4 red potatoes, cubed and boiled
2 stalks celery, chopped- leafy tops included!
1 cup grapes, halved
1/3 cup chopped and toasted pecans

Cook cous cous according to package instructions. Remove from heat, add to a large bowl and throw in spinach- let them wilt. At this point, you can put the bowl in the fridge, or serve the salad hot- either way is fine.
Add garlic, onion, potatoes, celery, grapes and nuts. Toss. Add lemon zest and juice. Toss again.
Serve warm or cold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment