Knowing What's on Your Plate

Thursday, February 17, 2011

I promised you some Valentine's Day post, but I took the picture on my dinosaur of a phone and I am killing myself trying to extract it and get it on here...I'm hoping to have it up soon.

In the meantime, I'm giving you one of my favorite lectures I've ever heard.
I know, nerd alert.
A few weeks ago, Oprah had Michael Pollan on her Vegan/eating better episode. Pollan is pretty much an expert in organic food and sustainability (a subject I care about deeply) I watched the episode intently because I already knew I loved him: I've read his books and heard an onlien lecture of his in an Ag class I once took for fun. (I know, me=nerd) A little note: He is NOT a vegan, and does not promote any specific diet...just better knowledge of what we eat and above all, balance.

The issue of where our food comes from and how it gets to be food, is ever growing in popularity. I'm pleased that more people are thinking about things like, what cows eat before they are slaughtered, how many pounds of pesticides are blanketing their fruits and veggies and just how big our carbon footprint is when we are willing to let our foods come from thousands of miles away.

If you have any interest in this at all, and even if you don't, check out the talk he did at Google (can you imagine your job bringing you cool speakers like this?!) You can listen to this while you're working out, messing around on the computer, or take a break and listen while you're eating your lunch.

As a last little excitement, Pollan is coming to my alma mater to speak. I am so jealous (when am I not?) that I can't be in Portland to enjoy this experience. But, praise to my little school for being the first to ban plastic non-reusable bottles on campus, and for getting this speaker to campus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment