Cassie Hepburn's Oscar Brownies

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hello, my little red carpet lovers.

There is no one I know who loves Oscars night more than my fashionista sister, Cassie.

A few days ago, I browsed through one of my millions of food blogs and found a recipe for Katherine Hepburn brownies (!) Yes, these are Katherine's recipe from an interview she did many moons ago...how cool is that?

Weirdly enough, my other sister was named partly because of Katherine Hepburn (that is another story for another post). The original recipe calls for nuts, which Cassie despises more than a horribly dressed star on the red carpet.
To tempt her love of chocolate, I decide to make Katherine's brownies, with a couple of modifications.

Last year, for one of Cassie's senior portraits, my talented mother decided to photograph her Audrey Hepburn style, with a couple modern changes, of course.



Now, I realize Audrey and Katherine have nothing in common besides a last name, but when I modifed the brownies made by one Hepburn, I thought I could rename them to fit another Hepburn (at least someone who was a Hepburn for about 20 minutes)...I hope you're enjoying all the pizazz and regality Oscar night has to offer. And if you're my favorite Hepurn- Cassie Hepburn, I hope you're enjoying one of these.



Cassie Hepburn Brownies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
2 ounces seriously delish semi sweet chocolate (go with a bar chocolate)
1/3-1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt

In a 2-quart saucepan over low-heat, melt butter with unsweetened chocolate, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in sugar. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract to make into a smooth batter. Poor into a bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Add white chocolate chips, flour and salt; stir until incorporated.

Prepare a small loaf pan by greasing it with butter. Then line the pan with parchment paper and grease it as well. Pour the batter into the lined dish and spread evenly.

Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Since you have lined your pan with parchment you can immediately remove the brownies from the dish, leaving them to cool.

When cooled, cut into squares and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment