Butternut Squash- it really is worth it's own post

Tuesday, January 25, 2011


This is a short and sweet...very sweet post.
Sweet because butternut squash is just that. If you haven't had it, you may not believe me, but truly it is. Winter can be a frustrating time in the produce department (and in the eating healthy department in general).
Butternut squash, its healthy qualities, sweet taste and vibrant color, will get you through.
Use it in
-soups
-salads
-biscuits
-risotto (it's truly fab here, If only my picky fam loved risotto as much as I, ugh.)
-stir fry
-by itself...it actually makes a great side dish. And since I started this week with some cheats, let me tell you another. Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Im sure some other places, actually sell the beautiful stuff pre cut. (Start sining Hallelujah). In general, I hate to do that because it's in a plastic bag and God (and anyone who has ever met me) knows how I feel about those, but here's the thing. Sometimes life gets busy..really busy. And during those times you have little time to cook a healthy dinner, let alone cut a freakin' giant butternut squash, which is seriously one of my least fav things to do in the kitchen. So, I give you permission to treat yourself to something healthy and waste that little plastic bag.

Roasted butternut squash
In general, you'll always want to start by doing this and then add it to whatever. Except your bowl of ice cream. Pllease don't do that.
Set oven to 350 degrees.
If you are June Cleaver, buy a butternut squash (don't worry too much about what shape and size to buy.) Cut off the top and bottom, peel the skin, spoon out the guts, cut into chunks and place on a cookie sheet.
If you are not June Cleaver and don't have time to make homemade doughnuts, lemonade, tuna casserole and roasted squash, buy the stuff in bags and throw it on a cookie sheet.
You DON'T need oil for this. If desired, sprinkle with salt, pepper and choice of herbs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment