Mother's Day = A day of food

Sunday, May 9, 2010

I'm not really sure that's what Mother's day is SUPPOSED to be about, but when do I ever care?
I decided for my mom I would make her brunch and dinner/dessert. (Before and after seeing a sneak peek showing of Letters to Juliet, which was awesome. See the movie and the word awesome will make you laugh. I could go on about it, but you will get bored of my drooling over the Brit actor and wanting that movie to be my life.) Back to the point...
Brunch is an old stand by (and by old I mean I've been making it for 5ish years.)
Creme Brulee french toast...yes, it is as good as it sounds. The recipe comes from here and I highly recommend it. It is not healthy. I repeat, go for a run after you eat this, but it is well worth it. It's super easy because you prep it the night before and bake it the morning of. I serve it with fruit salad and it rounds out the meal nicely. The only adaptation: the recipe calls for challah bread and I use a ciabatta or puglese or something like that. I think it soaks up the cream mixture better and has a nice crusty texture. I am working on a lower cal recipe for htis, but not for Mother's Day- I did the real deal.

For dinner I made fish tacos. Nota Bena- I never, ever fry things. I don't see the point and I usually find it disgusting, but we recently had fish tacos at a friend's house and they were so good, I had to try. I just dredged them in flour with spices, egg wash and some panko bread crumbs. I also wanted to make another kind of fish- I love this one. Tilapia with lime tequila marinade. This was fresh tasting and especially good with the cucumber avocado pineapple (say that 3 times fast) salsa.

Grilled Tilapia
1 lb. tilapia filets
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lime, squeezed
1 tsp chile spices
1/4 cup tequila
1/2 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients, except fish, in a bowl. Add tilapia and let marinade for 30 minutes. Place foil on a hot grill (do this so you don't have to worry about your fish falling through the grill.) Place tilapia on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes until fish is white and slightly golden on the outside.

Last but not least- here is the most delicious cheesecake. I don't usually like cheesecake, but this is fab. The recipe, from a neighbor is pretty basic, but lemon is infused in the crust, cake and glaze...oh the glaze. I can't post this recipe because I didn't ask my cooking goddess neighbor if I could, but just enjoy the picture or stop by the house for a slice.


Happy Mother's Day, mom- I love you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment