Blogging and Blueberry Muffins

Tuesday, August 30, 2011


WOW. What have I been doing?!
Not blogging, but you knew that.
I have been...
not cooking (until about 2 weeks ago)
moving
starting school
working
running
having fun
stressing
trying to ignore stress
watching Sex and the City. I'm addicted. Someone help me. Actually don't- I like it too well.

Tomorrow I go to school and begin one of the most humbling adventures I will ever embark on as a student and possibly, as a person. I get to begin counseling people. REAL people.
Run.
To celebrate getting the opportunity to listen to peoples problems, and tell them not to jump off the Empire State Building, I've made these muffins for fellow classmates.



A couple days ago I was in Raley's and found a really fancy chocolate bar on sale. The kind of chocolate bar that makes me think I am chicer than I am, aka, not the person wearing gym shorts, running shoes, a shirt adorned with yogurt, snot and ketchup, and the the painter of that shirt (a 2 yr old) in my shopping cart.
This chocolate bar was dark chocolate, infused with blueberries and lavender. I know, chic. Then, as if the fates knew what I was planning to do, I found a simply chic blueberry muffin recipe on one of my favorite blogs (In Praise of Leftovers). I modified the recipe slightly and added a bit of the chocolate bar to the muffins. Simply chic x2.

Now that I'm in my new kitchen, and cooking for 2 instead of 12, I hope to add some new life into my posts, and share what it's like to set up a kitchen when you have just 6 cabinets. Ah, the life.

Simply Chic Blueberry Chocolate Muffins (adapted from IP of L)

For batter:
4 Tb. unsalted butter
1/2 c. whole or low fat milk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 pint blueberries
1/2 bar Dagoba Blueberry Chocolate bar (break into small pieces by cutting with a large knife)

Preheat oven to 375 and butter a 12-cup muffin pan.

Melt butter in a microwavable bowl. In a measuring cup, whisk milk, egg, yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Add to melted butter.

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk mixture and stir until just combined. Gently but thoroughly fold in blueberries. Add chocolate. Divide batter among muffin cups and spread evenly.

Bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool in pan for at least 5 minutes (10 would be better), then run a knife around edges of muffin tops and carefully remove from cups. Serve warm or at room temperature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment