Roasted Red Potatoes

Thursday, July 29, 2010


I have a confession.
When I'm cooking I'm already "writing" what I want to say about the lovely food I'm throwing together. I stand there, over the stove, or bbq. Perhaps chopping at the island, taking a peek at something in the oven and constructing just what I want to say about it when it goes into cyberspace- it is a strange little life I lead in this head of mine.
In any case, last night I made roasted potatoes. I ate them with salad tossed in a sun-dried tomato pesto Caesar dressing. (More on that deliciousness later). Anyway, these potatoes were perfect little bites of carb, tart and salt. I found them a nice alternative to french fries- what I usually serve with burgers (that's what the rest of the fam ate).
I drizzled them with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper, and threw them in the oven until they were a deep golden.
Then...please prepare yourself for the best part.
That sun-dried tomato pesto I used in dressing?
I put it on the potatoes.
Oh yeah.
Just a 1/4 of a cup of the pesto married itself nicely with the potatoes and created one of the best side dishes I've ever made.
I know it's summer and you may fret turning on your oven, so feel free to save these for the fall, turn on the AC, or throw them on the bbq.

Roasted Potatoes with Pesto
Serves 6-8 as a side
7-8 red potatoes (depending on the size)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sprinkling of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425.
Cut red potatoes in chunks: slice in half long way, slice each half in quarters.
Place in a large baking dish; giving each potato enough room
Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper- toss with a spoon.
Cook for about 30 minutes- until the potatoes are soft and golden.
Let cool for 5 minutes. toss with pesto. (Recipe to come tomorrow)

Oh and I should note that this picture was taken by Cassie. She got a new camera and have I mentioned that she got the photographer gene? I missed that one somehow and gave it all to her- I am recruiting her to be my food blog photog. Like the name?

0 comments:

Post a Comment